Krupa was built in 1317 as an endowment of the Serbian king Milutin. This
monastery was founded by the Bosnian monks who were forced to leave their
monastery, because of the Turkish invasion. Latter on, monastery Krupa was
endowed by tzar Dusan and St. Mother Angelina, Serbian despot.
During its long history, this monastery experienced great disasters. In
1855, thanks to the precious help that came from Russia, Serbia and Austria,
it was completely renovated.
The church of monastery Krupa is dedicated to the Feast of the Dormition of
Theotokos. Its beautiful wall painting, dating back to 1622, is the work of
the well known monk from monastery Hilandar George Mitrofanovic. Also, in
monastery Krupa there is a valuable collection of icons and a famous
Monastery Krupa was a significant spiritual and cultural centre of Orthodox
Serbs in Dalmatia; many important persons lived there: archimandrite Gerasim
Zelic, and writers Dositej Obradovic and Simo Matavulj.
In 1995, during the military operation Oluja, monastery Krupa was
again ruined and abandoned, but from 1999, we have started its